Interesting thread on the Micro Mart forums today. I guess it was started by this Inquirer article rumouring that DirectX9.0L was to be a version of DX10 for XP (remember DX10 will be Vista only). Even before the retraction got 'printed' here I was dubious about this - really it was too good to be true that Microsoft would allow the exclusivity of Vista for modern gaming to be blown away like that.
Rather I remembered that when the DX10 specifications were announced it was mentioned the DX9 would be emulated through the new API - and I guess this is essentially what is going on here. This is an upgraded version of 9.0c to go with Vista. And it seems that the only reason it got made was to support the fancy aero features of the new OS!!!
Isn't that a little odd? Why not make it DX10 compatible? sigh..
Another good point raised later on in the thread is that OpenGL was not initially going to be supported in Vista! Now I'm not a Microsoft fan or hater but that does sound like bad manners! And if the EU is kicking up a fuss over Mediaplayer being included then surely making Vista solely use DX10 over OpenGL over games is even worse - yet no-one seems to have really said much about it.
Although maybe I missed that argument a while back :) Apparently it will be included now..
Too fast for it's own good!
I watched the third "Too Fast too Furious" film, Tokyo Drift, today. It was shit. The other 2 are pretty good, fairly original stories and hard 'n' fast car action! In this one we have new characters (which is a load of BS) and a really really pointless story of bad kid gone good etc etc.
I nearly cried! Although the love interest (she was hot!) kept my attention long enough to finish the film.
In a film about cars there were hardly any cars and NO car talk!!!! That says it all really...
(Incidentally this is about the first time I've posted twice in a row. Lets hope I can keep it up.)
Today I have been...
... watching - The fast and the furious 3: Tokyo Drift
Tuesday, October 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment